We have listed some key points which we feel you have to know before having a chemical peel. These treatments are fantastic for maintaining skin health and keeping a youthful appearance and glow to the skin.
We recommend these facials to anyone looking to improve their skin regime.
- If the skin is functioning well, there won’t be many layers of dead skin on the surface and we will see a nice, natural glow afterward. Dead skin can build up when the layers aren’t being exfoliated correctly and the cell turnover can increase from a healthy 30 days up to 90+ days, we would then see really irregular colouring on the skin and a very thick, uneven texture.
- Peels are very suitable for every skin type if you know what you’re doing. There is a theory that peels aren’t good for sensitive skin, this is simply not true! Delivering active ingredients into sensitive skin can be very beneficial to aid the health of the skin as long as the protocol and procedure has been adapted properly. If the skin is very impaired or damaged, we would always start with a full recovery programme first before challenging the skin to work harder.
- The PH of a Peel is very important. Professional peels are very low on the PH scale meaning that the products are delivered into the skin very quickly so that the ingredients start to work. At home peels and products you can buy over the counter have a much higher PH, this can be good as it reduces the amount of damage you can cause to your skin but also is not really doing the job of a peel. Don’t waste your money.
- If the skin is healthy, you won’t see much shedding. The more visible the shedding of skin is, the more layers there are needing to be removed. Usually by day 3 post peel is when you will start to see the areas of skin flaking, most commonly around the mouth as we hold more congestion here. We use the term ‘Invisible shedding’ for dryness, this is really common after a peel and can be soothed with a calming moisturiser. If you do not see any shedding it doesn’t mean the treatment hasn’t worked, it shows that your skin is functioning at a healthy rate yet the cells deeper are still receiving the active products.
- After a professional Peel your skin will continue to improve week on week as the deeper layers that have been treated come to the surface. This is bringing healthy, more plump skin cells upward which give that radiance to the skin.
- We recommend peel treatments every 2 weeks for acne and problematic skin but for general maintenance we recommend every 4 weeks.