Have you ever wondered what the best anti-ageing skin care product is? We focus so much time and money on the latest serums and moisturisers to regenerate new skin, but if you’re not using skin protection on top – what’s the point of renewing your skin just to damage it again?
The most essential and best anti-ageing skincare product on the planet is SPF! It’s something I bore my clients with on a daily basis, but why is it so important? Sun rays age us as I’m sure you already know, but did you know that UV is also in artificial light like light bulbs and computer screens – so even if your working from home, or going for a quick run when it’s cloudy, you need your SPF!
SPFs are not all born equal, so when you think you’re being protected by an over the counter moisturiser or foundation that has an SPF15 studies actually show it is more likely, when applied, to have a grading of more like an SPF2, which is not good enough to protect your skin and very misleading when you think you are protected.
Chemical or Physical Sunscreen – What’s the difference?
- Chemical SPF’s are a little like a spider’s web – it’s delicate with lots of holes, so as you can imagine it’s not as reliable on protection.
- They have banned chemical sunscreens in Hawaii due to the destruction of coral in the sea from people wearing chemical sunscreen. Imagine what that is doing inside your body!
- Studies have shown traces of chemical sunscreen in breast milk two hours after application.
- Because of these shocking facts we now recommend physical SPF’s as we find these most reliable to protect without the risk of damage, just like wearing a shield over your skin.
What damage is a Broad Spectrum physical SPF protecting you from?
- UVA – the ageing rays in sunlight and artificial light. If this is in your product there will be a UVA symbol inside a circle.
- UVB – the burning rays in sunlight. This is the number on your SPF i.e. SPF30. A factor 50 is around 98% protection against burning which is the highest you can get.
- Environmental – free radical damage (environmental damage). Environmental protectors are anti-oxidants i.e. Vitamin E.
My absolute must-have sunscreens are created by Alumier MD. They really do have the right sunscreen for everyone. Whether you like oil-free matte finish, a more moisturised finish or a tinted moisturiser feeling – they have the right one for everyone. This is so important because if you like the feeling of your sunscreen you will be happy to always wear it! (link to Allumier sunscreen)
Now that you have heard my compelling argument I hope you will NEVER skip the most essential step in your skincare regime.
Thank you for reading my blog, I hope you have learned something new. If you have any questions or comments please pop them in the box below.